Friday 16 September 2011

3123

Nothing like a 360 degree view of glaciers, mountain peaks and sheer drops to remind us of how small + insignificant we really are in this world.  Jeff and I did our first big climb today.  The Oldenhorn sits 3123m above sea level and towers over the local glacier at Les Diablerets.  From the glacier below, it looked like this:
I really wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get up there, but with some huffing and puffing, putting one foot in front of the other and a little scrambling while clutching a steel cable, we made it up to the top of that peak in time to have a sandwich jambon fromage and marvel at the views.

Today was an amazing experience and reminded me of my time in Nepal with Daphne and Claire and of how much I love to hike.  There is so much beauty and majesty and awe in the mountains.... No matter how hard the climb, there is no feeling like standing at the top looking out and down, knowing that you made it ...

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is memory lane. When R & A got hitched, Dave and I hiked to Saanen from Grindelwald--one of my favourite trips ever.

    ReplyDelete